The hand is the most important element of the upper limb. Its mobility and sensitivity are insured by the peripherical nerves. Its spatial orientation is made possible by the coordinating movements of the shoulder, elbow, and the wrist.
Hand surgery is at the crossroads of many specialities aiming to give back the hand’s function as a communication tool and a social link.
The specialised treatment of different hand conditions is made possible by the close collaboration between hand surgeons and hand therapists within the hand surgery unit.
Treatment does not always lead to surgical intervention. In most cases, oriented medical treatments such as orthotics, physiotherapy, infiltrations and medication facilitate improvement or healing.
La-main.ch offers treatment for various pathologies such as:
- Congenital hand differences
- Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Fracture and joint injuries (non-union, malunion, vazcularised bone graft)
- Joint replacement (elbow prosthesis, wrist, hand, fingers)
- Trauma to tendons, nerves and secondary repairs (restoration of hand function after spinal cord injury, compartment syndrome, upper limb palsy)
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- Cutaneous lesions (tumours, cysts, soft tissue defect, burns and hypertrophic scares, bedsore) and their cover (skin graft, pedicle flaps), nails deformities
- Microsurgery: re-plantations, free flap surgery, free vascularized toe transfer
- Wrist and elbow conditions: arthroscopy, wrist and elbow joint replacement
- Sports injuries to the hand and wrist
- Work and leisure related condition